Windshield Repair or Replacement, a Crucial Decision
By Kathy Hildebrand
About 13 to 14 million windshields are replaced every year in the United States. Why? The most common reasons are damage caused by debris flying into windshields, vandalism, and collisions. Windshield replacement is a skill that requires extensive training and proficient knowledge of proper installation materials and their use. Many facilities that offer windshield repair also offer windshield replacement, but both repair and replacement carry with them certain risks that every consumer should be aware of.
All new motor vehicle manufacturers are required to comply with the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) on auto glass before offering vehicles for sale in the United States. Unfortunately, comparable safety standards specifically for windshield replacement have never been formally drafted. However, it is recommended that customers familiarize themselves with the FMVSS standards and/or the Auto Glass Replacement Safety Standard (AGRSS.com) and insist that their replacement windshield be installed in congruity with those standards. Though there is no legal requirement to adhere to these standards, in so doing you are essentially getting a replacement windshield that is "good as new." When it comes to the safety of yourself and your passengers, this should be a very high priority indeed.
If you find that you absolutely must get your car windshield replaced, make sure your windshield installer:
- Removes the old urethane to approximately a 1/16" depth
- Cleans and primes the windshield glass and the vehicle pinchweld
- Wears gloves to prevent any possible contamination of the materials used in the windshield replacement
- Uses new urethane adhesive (not butyl tape or silicone)
- Checks for the presence of a passenger side airbag and uses urethane that is adequately rated for the job
- Discusses with you how long you will need to wait before the vehicle can be driven
- Reviews the "do's and don'ts" of your vehicle's operation during the adhesive curing period Auto glass work of this nature is very specialized work, and is not something just anyone can do. Automotive windshield repair should be performed only by someone you trust, and who stands behind every aspect of their work. Don't make light of the fact that your car's windshield is an integral feature of the safety of your vehicle. Don't leave something as important as auto glass replacement to anyone who has not been trained in what is required to conform to the FMVSS.
One company in particular has developed quite a reputation for excellent auto glass repair and replacement work. In fact they pretty much pioneered the entire industry. NOVUS will replace your car windshield glass or if you prefer, they will repair it as well. The company offers a complete line of glass installation and car care products that include the highest quality urethane adhesives, glass and paint primers/preps and cleaners for vehicles and technicians. NOVUS has been awarded more U.S. patents for windshield repair than all the rest of the windshield repair industry combined. The company has been for over 30 years, and remains to this day, the auto glass repair industry's leading research and development pioneer.
Kathy Hildebrand is a professional writer who is easily bored with her "day job" assignments. So, she researches anything and everything of interest and starts writing. Writing about an extremely wide variety of subjects keeps her skills sharp, and gives her food for thought on future paid writing assignments.
More of her research and articles can be found at http://www.lasertargeted.com/glassrepair and other sites around the internet.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Kathy_Hildebrand
Ready to get your windshield or auto glass replaced? Give us a call today for a no-obligation estimate!
Call Us to Schedule Your Auto Glass Service
Thank you for visiting Rockwall Auto Glass.com. Please take a few moments to look over our site and learn more about us. Then give us a call for your free no-obligation price quote or to schedule an appointment.
Auto Glass by Jerry - Proudly serving Rockwall Texas and the surrounding area since 2000!
Phone: (214) 681-6255
In Greenville: (903) 461-5515 — In Grand Saline: (903) 330-2414